Monday, December 4, 2023

Mid-Atlantic Orienteering Championships

 Sunday I took part in the Mid-Atlantic Championships, hosted by DVOA. QOC went en masse, even rented a huge bus (I did not ride along). I took part in the relays as part of the club, but did not take part in the classic for points for the club. Reason? For my age and sex, I would had to run a Green course, two course levels more advanced than Orange! 

So I ran the "Rec Orange" meaning no points (beyond participation points) and the Relay. The Relay was fun: three orienteers run one after the other. The first leg, mine, was a Yellow, 1.4km, slight elevation gain, 8 controls. Did it in 17-something minutes. Second was a bit longer at 2.25km, Orange, 10 controls. Last was advanced, 2.52km, 10 controls. I was assigned a relay with the QOC president and one poor advanced orienteer who just came back from running the Blue course (the most advanced) about five minutes before he had to start the third leg of the relay!

QOC put the relays together based on our per-km pace in previous meets. They also named us; we were Tortises (yes, spelled that way) and were #20 of 22 relays. No points, sigh.

My Orange was fun but I literally got completely lost between 2 and 3. I had to take a safety bearing till I could find civilization, then went back to my last known point (hello, control 2) and start over. Thus all the time it took me on those controls.


I was happy with this. Thought I'd miss the relays I was taking so long, was frankly surprised I came in under 2 hours.



Got a lot of steps in, that's for sure. Almost 19,000 for the day. Didn't get a map of my relay, but here's my Orange:


It was a two-hour drive up and due to traffic a 2.5 hour drive back, the only negative. I met a bunch of QOC folks up there and will endeavor to remember all their names when I see them again. They're all so nice!

Lots of fun. Would definitely attend again, despite the drive. Those relays...so fun.

Pictures!

Me coming in behind my new QOC friend Sharmagh


THE team. Of studs. 



QOC showed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lifting week of 6 May

 Another good week. And I swam! (Once...ugh.) 6 May, H SQ: 4x5 @230 OHP: 3x5 @105, 1x5 @95 DL: 260x5 Ended up doing 5,3,3 for the 105 in OHP...